Learn the hidden signs someone is gaslighting.
- “That never happened.”
- “You’re too sensitive.”
- “You’re overreacting.”
- “It was just a joke.”
Gaslighting. It’s a term you’ve probably heard before, but the signs can be confusing. In this video, Dr. Ramani Durvasula and MedCircle host Kyle Kittleson discuss…
- What is gaslighting?
- What does gaslighting behavior look like?
- Why do narcissists gaslight / what is the goal of a narcissist when they gaslight?
- What are the 3 signs someone is gaslighting?
- What is deflection?
- What impact does this type of emotional manipulation have on someone’s mental health?
- What should someone do if they are experiencing this type of narcissistic abuse?
- What SHOULDN’T someone do when they are experiencing gaslighting?
- Why don’t narcissists like getting caught?
- What is the #1 surefire sign that you are being gaslighted?
Narcissists don’t have a sign on them saying: “Hey, look, I’m a narcissist!” In fact, at times they can seem reasonable and approachable, at least for a while. Psychotherapist Dr. Les Carter identifies the most accurate way to determine if you are indeed engaging with a narcissist. Once you know what to watch for, you can proactively determine the best path to proceed.
- Military Service: seek to use respect people have for the military to impress
- Deep Religious or Spiritual Beliefs: like power and authority –
- Advanced Degrees / Entrepreneur / Successful: so image driven. Stories of how they lost out
- Cheating: portray themselves as best father. On Facebook. “Me thinks thou does protest too much”
- Sex is a big weapon for narcissists and how they suck people in
- Project what they are thinking or doing onto you. If they are thinking of cheating, or cheating they accuse you and become hypersensitive.
- If a narcissist has dreams or talks about that you are going to die, you need to leave immediately.
- Taking credit for other people’s ideas or taking credit for other’s actions
- Outlandish stories
- Money: exaggerate their success. Misrepresent their financial status.